Bada Mahal, Udaipur, Rajasthan | Best time to Visit | 2024
If the history of India is explored, then such excellent carvings, buildings, majestic palaces, and amazing culture will be seen in it. The Bada Mahal is one of those unimaginable structural artifacts.
Table of Contents
History and Structure
Built in the 17th century by Maharana Udai Singh in the Rajput-Mughal architectural style, the Bada Mahal is a part of the “City Palace“, considered the men’s section of the palace, where they used to have casual talks and merrymaking. It also has a swimming pool.
This royal palace is situated on a 90 feet high natural hill from where a beautiful view of Udaipur city can be seen. The fusion of Rajput and Mughal is reflected in the surviving prevalent architectural styles of that era. Beautiful mirrors painted on the walls and intricate carvings adorn the interior of Bada Mahal, and it is surrounded by lush green lawns, a magnificent garden, beautiful terraces, pillars, balconies, and fountains.
This palace is situated on the eastern bank of Lake Pichola and apart from this palace, there are other palaces in the complex.
Opening and Closing Time
- 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
Note – According to the locals, it remains open seven days a week.
Best Time to Visit
- Spring and monsoon are considered to be the best season; people prefer to visit the palace in mild cool weather.
- If you come to visit here during summer, do remember to carry a water bottle and formal cap with you to beat the sun’s heat.
Since Bada Mahal is a part of City Mahal, there is no separate ticket for Bada Mahal. But those who want to visit the City Palace Museum are required to take tickets.
Note – You can hire a guide there to visit the museum, and you can negotiate with them for a fee, their fee is between INR 200 to 300.
How to Reach
- The nearest airport is Maharana Pratap Airport of Udaipur, the distance from here to the palace is about 22 to 23 km. You can reach it easily with the help of a private taxi or cab.
- The nearest railway station is the Udaipur Railway Station, which is only about 2.5 to 3 kilometers away from the palace.
- It is also well connected by road with all the nearby cities, so you can reach Udaipur with the help of a personal vehicle or bus.
Location Map for Bada Mahal
- Hotel Vishnupriya
- Pax Rafahiya Haveli
- Hotel the Tiger at Lake Pichola
- Hotel Panorama Haveli
- Ushaan Haveli
Note – The names of the above hotels are not sponsored, these names have been listed based on the reviews of people and Google. Also, there are plenty of budget options available in the city of Udaipur.
What’s Worth Seeing Near Bada Mahal
- City Palace – Fort
- Lake Pichola – Lake
- Sajjangarh Monsoon Palace – Fort (distance from the palace – 4.5 km)
- Bagore Ki Haveli – Historical (distance from the palace – approx. 1 to 2 km)
- Lake Palace – Fort (distance from palace – approx. 500 m to 1 km)