Bai Dinh Pagoda, Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Bai Dinh Pagoda is Asia’s largest Buddhist complex. It is located 20km west of Ninh Binh and it’s approximately a 30-minute drive. It consists of several temples and over 500 entangled carved statues of Buddha, including one that’s made of bronze and is 10 meters in height. The Bai Dinh Pagoda lies within a complex of spiritual Buddhist temples on Bai Dinh Mountain in Ninh Binh, North Vietnam. The Bai Dinh Pagoda is an impressive 13 stories tall with panoramic views at the top.
Table of Contents
The ancient Bai Dinh pagoda is situated on the western slope of Dinh Mountain and embraces the quiet forest. The pagoda was an ancestor-worshipping house at the center. The Bright cave on the right-hand side Worships the Buddha and the little temple worshipping Genie Cao Son.
This temple was founded by Pope Nguyen Minh Khong when he came here to find medicine for the King under the Ly Dynasty.
The ancient Bai Dinh Pagoda is located deep in the cave, it is not dark. It is possible to look from the outside to the inside or from the inside to the cave door because there is light tied to the four sides.
To get inside the temple, visitors must climb over 300 stone steps. Buddha’s altar is located in the middle of the cave, always illuminated by the first sunshine of the day. With a height of more than 2m, a width of 15m, and a length of 25m, it is invisible to create a temple roof, which is firmly shaded by rain.
How to Go at Bai Dinh Pagoda
You can rent a scooter from one of the rental shops in town for 100,000 VND per day or alternatively, you can rent a bicycle for half the price.
The journey to Bai Dinh Pagoda will lead you along a road that hugs the edge of the Trang An River, surrounded by the world-renowned cliffs that are said to resemble that of Ha Long Bay, but on land.
There is a large parking lot along with a dozen of food stores and markets at the entrance to Bai Dinh Pagoda. It is best to park your scooter in the shade and pay a parking fee of 15,000 VND(48.55 Indian Rupee)
Location Map for Bai Dinh Pagoda
Where to Stay Near Bai Dinh Pagoda
- Emeralda Resort Ninh Binh
- King Kong Homestay
- Zuli Zen Home
Opening and Closing Hours
Monday to Sunday 6 am to 10 pm
Appropriate clothing to wear to this pagoda
- No sleeveless.
- Don’t show too much skin
Things to know about Bai Dinh Pagoda
- Bai Dinh Pagoda consists of 2 newly built quarters and zones in 2003 and the ancient area is about 800m south of the new area.
- With an area of up to 1700ha, all items are completely new. Typical are La Han corridor, Bronze Maitreya or Bao Thap.
- First to mention the Stupa. The tower is located in Bai Dinh Pagoda complex with a height of up to 100m and is set to be the largest security tower in Southeast Asia. At the same time it is also a place to display relics from India and Burma. The annual stupa attracts a great number of visitors coming here to admire the beauty of the statues as well as the unique architecture inside the tower.
- To get to the stupa, you must go through 72 steps to get to the top floor. After getting up to the place you will not be interested in the architectural features are decorated here. The ceiling of the stupa is designed in Indian style, golden statues glistening. On the tower there are also many sculpture pages related to human life.